Temperature control in the field-of-view (FOV) is essential for many applications in high-resolution microscopy. The thermal contact of a microscope objective with a sample via immersion oil often causes strong temperature gradients within the field of view, see images below.
Conventional methods trying to solve this issue have severe drawbacks, such as limited maximum temperatures of approx. 40ºC, no fast temperature dynamics and associated long waiting times to achieve thermal equilibrium. Linnowave’s Vaheat system with integrated heating element and a precise temperature sensor overcomes these problems. The Vaheat system consist of a control unit, a substrate holder and smart substrates.
Key Features of Vaheat System:
- Room temperature up to 100°C (300°C upon request)
- Heating rates up to 100 K/s.
- Relative temperature precision of 0.1 K.
- Fast thermal response allows precise temperature stabilisation even when using perfusion systems
- Compatible with all conventional microscopes and made for live-cell imaging
The Control Unit
- Precisely control and measure the temperature in your sample volume
- Define and start your individual temperature profiles
- Set active temperature feedback
- Send heat shocks to your sample
- Change live the temperature via tuning knob
- Integrate into your data-acquisition software using API
The Substrate Holder
- Size of substrate holder designed to fit any commercially available microscope
- Footprint of a standard microscope slide (76mm x 26mm)
- Instantly fits into user’s microscope
- Compatible with most common inverted and upright microscope
- Fast, convenient fitting and replacement of substrates
- Precise magnetic clamp mechanism
Linnowave’s substrates incorporate an integrated and calibrated temperature sensor with microheater. They provide custom sizes and options upon request. The standard version is equipped with a small pan for your sample. The smart substrates allow homogeneous heating in the field of view and provide precise temperature control.
- 18 mm x 18 mm
- 170 μm thick – ideally suited for high-resolution microscopy and live-cell imaging
- Calibrated temperature sensor
- Integrated microheater
- Fast thermal response
- Precise and direct measurement of sample volume temperature
- Disposable, but may be used a number of times-substrates available in packs of 12
Vaheat in Action
Vaheat allows fast, dynamic and homogeneous thermal control even when using oil-immersion objectives.
Vaheat decouples your cover slip thermally from the environment and enables fast temperature dynamics, even against strong temperature gradients.
Thermal control of n-tetracosan crystallization on the microscopic level using Vaheat.